Please call free – 0800 707 6229 - for Huge Extra Savings on your Great Rail Journeys Glacier Express & St Moritz
Dramatic mountain scenery and beautiful lakes provide the setting for this magnificent tour, as we take the iconic Glacier Express through the Swiss Alps, staying in glamorous St Moritz, and Zermatt, where we enjoy breathtaking views of the Matterhorn.
- The Glacier Express
- The Bernina Express
- Tours of Zermatt and Stresa
- Lake Maggiore
- Cruise to Isola Pescatore
- The Gornergrat Mountain Railwa
- The services of a professional UK Tour Manager from start to finish
- Exclusive meeting point at our dedicated Departure Office in St Pancras
- First Class rail travel throughout (Standard Premier Class on Eurostar journeys with a light meal and drinks)
- 9 nights' hotel accommodation including 1 outbound overnight stay in Cologne, 3 nights at the 4-Star Hotel Schweizerhof in St Moritz, 4 nights at the 4-Star Parkhotel Beau-Site in Zermatt and 1 inbound overnight stay in Colmar
- 17 meals including 9 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 7 dinners, including a farewell dinner in Zermat
- Exciting excursions and free time to explore
- Scenic journey on the Glacier Express
- Scenic journey on the Bernina Express to Tirano
- Guided tour of Zermatt and a visit to Stresa
- Cruise to Isola Pescatore
- Journey on board the Gornegrat Mountain Railway
Day 1: London to Cologne
After meeting your Tour Manager, we board the Eurostar at our St Pancras Departure Office, travelling to Brussels before continuing on to Cologne in First Class, where we overnight.
Day 2: To St Moritz
Today we depart Cologne and travel to Basel , before we start the scenic ascent through the Alps to St Moritz, set at 6,000 feet amidst majestic mountain peaks. We travel through countless tunnels and across numerous bridges, including the instantly recognisable Landwasser Viaduct, an architectural treasure. The track clings to the mountainside as we wind our way above deep ravines and past rushing waterfalls.
Day 3: Over the Bernina Pass to Tirano
From St Moritz we join the historic narrow-gauge Bernina Express, a railway journey on the superb Bernina Line which passes mighty glaciers, rushing mountain streams and flower-filled Alpine meadows. The railway line has been rewarded with UNESCO World Heritage Status.
Day 4: At leisure in St Moritz
Today you are free to explore St Moritz by cable car, free of charge using your St Moritz Travel Card. Synonymous with glamour, the prestigious resort of St Moritz also claims to be one of the first towns in Europe to popularise winter sports.
Day 5: First Class aboard the Glacier Express
Today we take the famous Glacier Express narrow-gauge train along the iconic route from St Moritz to Zermatt, enjoying the incredible views through the panoramic windows of our First Class carriage. Our journey takes us through the classic landscapes which have made Switzerland famous; from the jagged mountain peaks to the flower-filled meadows below, and from the sprawling vineyards to dense woodland dotted along the hillsides.
Day 6: Zermatt
Today we ascend via Gornergrat Mountain Railway, opened in 1898, the highest open-air cogwheel railway in Europe. The train climbs to the summit of the Gornergrat at 10,134 ft and offers spectacular views of the Matterhorn; on a clear day at the top you can see 29 snow-capped peaks of more than 4000 metres.
Day 7: Stresa and Lake Maggiore
Today we travel by train to Domodossola in Italy, where we take a coach to Stresa, on the shore of Lake Maggiore. On arrival, we take a cruise across Lake Maggiore to the charming island of Isola Pescatore, a wonderfully atmospheric rustic fishing village boasting some fantastic restaurants and shops.
Day 8: Exploring Zermatt
Today is free for you to explore Zermatt. Perhaps relax and take advantage of the hotel's excellent pool and spa facilities, enjoy a walk along one of the many marked trails or climb the Kleine Matterhorn by regional cable car. Another option is to use your First Class Swiss Travel Card to explore further afield.
Days 9-10: To Colmar and London
Today we begin our journey home. We travel via Visp to Basel, then join the onward service to Colmar, where we spend the night. On Day 10 we travel through France to Paris. Here we connect with Eurostar to London.
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot