Please call free on - 0800 707 6229 - for huge extra savings on G Adventures Costa Rica Family Journey
G Adventures - National Geographic Family Journeys
Blanketed in pristine rainforest, lined by golden sands, and brimming with curious-looking creatures, Costa Rica is the ultimate family playground. Explore inland jungles and volcanic wonders in every way possible: soaring on a zip line, riding on horseback, and hiking misty trails. Then head for the Gold Coast on the Pacific Ocean for some sun, surf, and adventures out at sea.
- Channel your inner Tarzan as you soar through the jungle canopy on zip lines
- Join a naturalist on a night walk through the cloud forest, keeping your ears open for the symphony of hooting owls, croaking frogs, and chirping insects
- Test your skills at a cooking class as you whip up delicious Costa Rican dishes
- Jump into a natural mud bath, and swim in pools heated by area volcanoes.
- Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Life Monteverde Community Lunch, Tour, and Cooking Class, Monteverde
- Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Monteverde Institute Lecture & Reforestation Project, Monteverde
- Your G for Good Moment: Life Monteverde Experience, Monteverde
- Arrival transfer
- Naturalist guided cloud forest night walk
- Canyon canopy tour in Rincón de la Vieja National Park
- Rio Negro Hot Springs and volcanic mud bath
- Horseback riding and guided hike in Rincón de la Vieja National Park
- Palo Verde National Park guided boat tour
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Hotels (8 nts)
- 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- 2 Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout, local guides.
Day 1: San Jose
Arrive in time to meet your fellow travelers for a welcome gathering this evening. Your arrival transfer is included.
Day 2: San Jose / Monteverde
This morning, travel up into the misty cloud forests of Monteverde, where you’ll visit a working farm and coffee cooperative for an earth-to-table lunch, followed by a property tour. Learn the secrets of Costa Rican cuisine and test your cooking skills at an afternoon class, then attend a coffee-making demonstration. Enjoy some free time to get settled in your hotel. This evening, follow a naturalist into the forest to seek out the fascinating nocturnal creatures that spring to life after the sun goes down, from red-eyed tree frogs to spiny porcupines.
Day 3: Monteverde
Visit the Monteverde Institute, a research and educational organization supported by National Geographic. Hear about reforestation projects spearheaded by the institute, then roll up your sleeves and lend a hand in the tree nursery. The rest of the day is free for poolside relaxation or optional excursions in the clouds, including zip-lining, hiking in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve, or a walk through the forest canopy across hanging bridges.
Day 4: Monteverde / Rincon De La Vieja Volcano National Park
Today travel into Rincón de la Vieja National Park, an otherworldly land of smoking volcanoes, bubbling mud pots, and thermal hot springs—all shrouded in thick tangles of rainforest. Channel your inner Tarzan as you swing across zip lines strung through the forest canopy; then visit thermal hot springs and mud baths, where playing in the mud isn’t just allowed, it’s encouraged. This evening, visit the local butterfly garden, if you like.
Day 5: Rincon De La Vieja Volcano National Park
Rise early for a full day of adventure in the national park. Saddle up for a horseback-riding excursion, get introduced to the park’s creatures on a naturalist-guided wildlife hike, and swim beneath the soaring canyons and tumbling waterfalls of the Río Negro. There is also the option to stay back at your hacienda and relax by the pool.
Day 6: Rincon De La Vieja Volcano National Park / Playa Potrero
Journey toward the Pacific Ocean to Playa Potrero on the Gold Coast of Costa Rica. The afternoon is free to play in the sand and surf; or opt to set sail across the bay and around the Catalina Islands.
Day 7: Playa Potrero
The day is free to do as much or as little as you like. Relax at the pool or on the beach in this tropical paradise. Opt to join a yoga class, take a long walk along the beach, or go horseback riding.
Day 8: Playa Potrero / San Jose
Leave the beach behind for your return trip to the capital. Stop en route for a jungle boat cruise through Palo Verde National Park. The river is a wildlife-lover’s paradise: crocodiles glide beneath the water’s surface, monkeys swing through the surrounding treetops, and numerous winged wonders wade and fly at the river’s edge—including ospreys, wood storks, and roseate spoonbills. Continue to San José and celebrate your adventure at a farewell dinner.
Day 9: San Jose
Depart at any time.
PHYSICAL RATING: 2 - LIGHT
Light walking and hiking suitable for most fitness levels. Nothing too challenging.
Please note, prices listed are guide prices only and are based on 2 people sharing and don't include any additional supplements. Holiday prices are fluid and dynamic and may be changed at a moment's notice, prior to booking, at which point they are confirmed. Please call the team free on 0800 707 6229 for more departure dates available and a quote
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot