Call free on 0800 707 6229 for huge extra savings on Hurtigruten Circumnavigating Svalbard: Realm of the Polar Bear Expedition
This Arctic expedition cruise is one of a kind! We plan to sail above 80º N, while circumnavigating Spitsbergen under the Midnight Sun. Explore the largest Arctic wilderness in Europe with optional excursions that include hiking, kayaking and traversing a glacier, all providing a good chance to spot the mighty polar bear.
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Return economy flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Visit Svalbard in the Arctic summer
- Circumnavigate Spitsbergen
- Great chance of sighting polar bears
- See the Midnight Sun in untouched Arctic wilderness
Day 1: Oslo / Longyearbyen
Before your evening flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, spend the day in the museums, parks and cafes of the Norwegian capital.
Day 2: Longyearbyen - Embarkation
Join an exciting excursion after lunch to get to know this frontier town. The mighty Arctic wilderness dominates life here, but Longyearbyen maintains a lively cultural life, and is considered a prime destination for adventure travelers from around the world. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of this colourful outpost before boarding your ship, MS Spitsbergen.
Days 3-4: North West Spitsbergen National Park
The North West Corner is scattered with rugged islands, beautiful fjords and isolated beaches. This is true wilderness, so the captain will work with the elements to create the best itinerary for your expedition cruise.
Days 5-7: Eastern Svalbard Nature Reserve
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears on the archipelago – and we have high hopes of spotting one on this journey! The ocean is full of drifting ice, and we aim to cross 80º N if conditions allow. We hope to sail all the way to Sjuøyane (Seven Islands) at the far north of the archipelago.
Day 8: South Spitsbergen National Park
We make our way to the southernmost tip of Spitsbergen, where Hornsund hosts a wonderfully varied landscape and geology. Ice pushed into the fjord early in the season attracts polar bears that hunt on the floes, so with a bit of luck, we may spot some of these magnificent predators.
Day 9: The Isfjord
We explore the Isfjord, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard to take in immense valleys, carved out of the mountains by the giant glaciers that covered the area some ten thousand years ago. Scan for the rich population of Svalbard reindeer here.
Day 10: Longyearbyen / Oslo - Disembarkation
As we arrive back in Longyearbyen after our far north exploration, enjoy the stunning scenery of the icescape that lies just a few hundred miles from the Geographic North Pole. Transfer to the airport for your night flight. Arrival early in the morning in Oslo.
This voyage is departing on the following days:
- 6 June 2020
- 14 June 2020
- 22 June 2020
- 17 August 2020
MS Spitsbergen has its own on-board Expedition Team and serves as a university at sea. Interesting lectures inside the ship as well as out on the sun deck make this an exciting and educational journey. Topics depend on the season and the waters we sail in. The Expedition Team host a lecture programme and evening gatherings daily.
- Expedition Team
- Explorer bar
- Panoramic lounge – Explorer lounge
- Compass Service Centre
- Brygga bistro
- Torget main dining
- Fitness room
- Hot tub
- Guest launderette
- Panoramic deck 8
- Outside bar for events, decks 7 & 8
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot