Please call free – 0800 707 6229 - for Huge Extra Savings on your Great Rail Journeys - Traditional Glacier Express
Stunning scenery and spectacular views are enough to take your breath away as we travel by rail through the heart of the Swiss Alps on the world-famous Glacier Express train. We enjoy thrilling mountain railways, charming towns and dramatic Alpine scenery for which Switzerland is justly famous.
- Chur, Switzerland’s oldest town
- A journey on the Bernina Express
- The Iconic Glacier Express
- Kandersteg, a delightful mountain resort
- The Matterhorn
- GRJ Swiss Travel Card
- Return journey via Lake Geneva
- Fully escorted by a UK Tour Manager from start to finish
- Exclusive meeting point at our dedicated Departure Office in St Pancras
- Standard Class rail travel throughout
- 7 nights' hotel accommodation including 1 outbound overnight stay in Cologne, 3 nights at the Hotel Freieck in Chur and 3 nights at the
- Hotel Belle Epoque in Kandersteg
- 12 meals including 7 breakfasts and 5 dinners including a farewell dinner in Zermatt
- Exciting excursions and free time to explore
- Journey on the iconic Glacier Express
- Full day excursion on the Bernina Express
- Mountain railway excursion to Zermatt
- Free time in Chur
- At leisure in Poschiavo
- Explore Kandersteg
- GRJ Swiss Travel Card, permitting 50% discounted fares on free days for rail, boat and most mountain railway journeys
Day 1: By train to Cologne
After meeting at our dedicated Departure Office in St Pancras, we board the Eurostar to Paris, continuing on by high-speed rail to Strasbourg, where we overnight.
Day 2 On to Chur (Switzerland)
Enjoy a morning at leisure in the Alsatian town of Strasbourg, before we begin our onwards journey into Switzerland, to Basel and onwards to Chur, Switzerland's oldest town at over 5,000 years old.
Day 3: Discover Chur
Your day is free to explore historic Chur and the surrounding region. Today is the perfect opportunity to discover the area by mountain railway, using your included Swiss Travel Card for 50% fares.
Day 4: The Bernina Express to Poschiavo
Today's excursion takes us on the historic Bernina Express - a railway journey on the superb Bernina Line that passes mighty glaciers, rushing mountain streams and flower-filled Alpine meadows. The railway line is over 100 years old and has been rewarded with UNESCO World Heritage Status.
Day 5: The Glacier Express to Kandersteg
We leave Chur today, travelling from the rocky landscape of the Graubünden canton to the fantastic sunny Valais on the iconic Glacier Express - 'the slowest express train in the world'. Our entire journey is accompanied by views of the scenery for which Switzerland is justly famous; sloping meadows, broad vineyards lined with lush greenery and dense forests rising up the hillside beside the track towards towering snow-capped peaks.
Day 6: Mountain Rail excursion to Zermatt
Today we visit the charming, car-free resort of Zermatt. We travel to Brig to join a narrow-gauge train, heading south through picturesque vineyards and alongside the River Rhône to Visp. From here we join the mountain track for the steep ascent to Zermatt. The train clings to the track as we wind left and right, ascending past small clusters of houses and tiny hamlets that together form the region's village communities.
Day 7: At Leisure
Your day is free to explore this region using your Swiss Travel Card for 50% fares. We particularly recommend travelling along the Rhône Valley to Montreux. From here you can enjoy a cruise on Lake Geneva or join the GoldenPass Line panoramic train.
Day 8: Return back to London
We depart Kandersteg today for Paris, via Geneva and Brig. Once in Paris, we join the Eurostar service for the return to London St Pancras.
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot