Please call free – 0800 707 6229 - for Huge Extra Savings on your Great Rail Journeys - Jungfrau Express Tour
From your base in the quintessentially Swiss town of Meiringen, enjoy journeys by mountain railway and lake steamer, crowned with an excursion on the Jungfrau Railway to the breathtaking 'Top of Europe.'
- Reichenbach Falls
- Lake Brienz Cruise
- Brienz Rothorn Steam Railway
- Jungfrau Railway
- Dinner at the summit of Harder Kulm
- GRJ Swiss Travel Card
- Stunning 4-Star Accommodation
- The services of a professional UK Tour Manager from start to finish
- Exclusive meeting point at our dedicated Departure Office in St Pancras
- First Class rail travel to and from Switzerland, Standard Class rail travel in Switzerland (Standard Premier Class on Eurostar journeys with light meal and drinks)
- 8 nights' hotel accommodation including 1 outbound overnight stay in Strasbourg and 7 nights at the 4-Star Parkhotel du Sauvage in Meiringen
- 15 meals including 8 breakfasts and 7 dinners including dinner at the summit of Harder Kulm
- Exciting excursions and free time to explore
- Mountain railway excursion to Reichenbach Falls
- Excursion on the Jungfrau Express to the 'Top of Europe'
- Brienz Rothorn Steam Railway & Lake Brienz cruise
- The ascent of Schynige Platte by cog railway
- Harder Kulm Funicular and dinner at the summit
- GRJ Swiss Travel Card, permitting 50% discounted fares on free days for rail, boat and most mountain railway journeys
Day 1: By train to Strasbourg
After meeting at our St Pancras Departure Office, we take the Eurostar to Paris, continuing to Strasbourg for the night.
Day 2: Onwards to Meiringen
Today we continue our journey to Meiringen, travelling by rail, via Basel. A small town dating back to the early Middle Ages, Meiringen became famous thanks to Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels in which a climactic battle was set in this region.
Day 3: Reichenbach Falls
This morning we travel by funicular mountain railway to the Reichenbach Falls and the platform where the dramatic final duel between Sherlock Holmes and archenemy Moriarty took place. From the falls, you have the option of exploring the area on a signposted walk.
Day 4: At leisure in Meiringen
Your day is free, perhaps to explore with your Swiss Travel Card which gives a 50% discount on most trains, buses and lake steamers in the area. You could travel to Brienz and visit the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum, or walk along the picturesque promenade, complete with its vivid flower beds and trees. Alternatively, you could take the Giessbachbahn funicular railway, the oldest of its kind in Europe.
Day 5: Brienz Rothorn Line and Lake Brienz
We head west by train along the Brünig line to Brienz, located in the middle of charming mountains at the eastern end of the turquoise-coloured Lake Brienz. The cosy village is our starting point for excursions to the Bernese Oberland, and it is here that we begin an excursion by steam mountain railway, climbing to over 5,000 feet (1,524m), to the summit of Rothorn.
Days 6: The'Top of Europe'
Today we enjoy what is undoubtedly one of the highlights of our stay in the Bernese Oberland, as we travel on the Jungfrau Railway to the Jungfraujoch - Europe's highest railway station. We begin on the Bernese Oberland Railway, trundling through the foothills of the Alps from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, through flowerfilled pastures and past pretty villages.
Day 7: The Alpen Tower
Our excursion today takes us by cable car up to the Alpen Tower. Located high up in the mountains surrounded by the Bernese and Central Alps, there are few better places in the world to enjoy a bite to eat or a drink from the Alpen Tower restaurant with its 360 degree panorama.
Day 8: Lucerne and Harder Kulm
Today we take a train to the town of Lucerne, known for its cobbled streets and ornate churches. Later on, we make our way to Interlaken, from where we ascend the Harder Kulm by cable car, granting us extraordinary views across Lakes Thun and Brienz, the villages dotted along their shores, and over the top of Interlaken.
Day 9: To London
We leave Meringen for Lausanne, joining the high-speed service to Paris and there continuing on to London St Pancras via the Eurostar.
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot