Iconic port wine, enigmatic cities and Portuguese charm, all on a ship used by Her Majesty the Queen, makes this cruise one to remember. Discover the unique culture of the golden Douro river on board the exclusively chartered Spirit of Chartwell.
- The services of a professional UK Tour Manager from the UK until you board your ship
- Flights from London to Lisbon and from Porto to London
- A small group with a maximum of 30 passengers
- 3 nights' accommodation at the 4-Star Hotel Mundial in Lisbon
- 7-night cruise on board the exclusive Spirit of Chartwell
- 25 meals including 10 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 9 dinners, including the Captain's Dinner with live music, a dinner at Graham's Port Vinum restaurant and a Portuguese barbecue
- Exciting excursions and free time to explore
- On board vintage port wine celebration
- Guided tour of Lamego
- Excursion to Castelo Rodrigo with a guided tour
- City tour of Salamanca
- Visit to the Casa de Mateus villa
- Excursion to Quinta da Aveleda with lunch
- Sunset harbour cruise in Porto
- Dinner at the Vinum restaurant with a tasting of Graham's 6 Grapes Port, the favourite port of former British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill
- City tour of Porto
- Exclusive talk by Nicholas Owen, former Royal Correspondent on selected dates
Days 1-2: To Lisbon
After meeting at the airport, we board our flight today from London to Lisbon. We enjoy a guided tour of this exceptional European city on Day 2 as we visit the many attractions including the cathedral and the natural harbour, Belem.
Day 3: Sintra
Our excursion today takes us to the charming village of Sintra. Used as a retreat by various royals and aristocrats, Sintra is made up by a variety of different castles and palaces, painted in a myriad of pale colours. Arguably the centrepiece of all these is the instantly recognisable Pena Palace, with its honey coloured tower. We enjoy a day at leisure here.
Today we travel by rail to Porto. On arrival into this classic Portuguese city, transfer to the dock where you board your ship, the exquisite Spirit of Chartwell. After settling in to your elegant cabin, enjoy an exotic cocktail while the captain and his crew welcome you aboard as the upper deck is bathed in the golden glow of the Portuguese sunset. Enjoy a delicious dinner together on board this evening.
Day 5 begins with a city tour of Porto. Enjoy the sights of this charming city including the city bridge, the manors of the Foz district and the cathedral with its commanding views from the top of the Penaventosa Hill.
Days 6: Lamego
Today, your ship docks at Regua. This morning, you are given a culinary demonstration introducing you to the gastronomic traditions of this part of the world. In the afternoon, you pay a visit to Lamego, a picturesque village near the banks of the Douro where you take a guided tour.
Days 7-8: Castelo Rodrigo and Salamanca
Barca d'Alva is today's docking point and from here, you take an excursion to Castelo Rodrigo. A fascinating medieval town, hidden in the hills, Castelo Rodrigo has seen a variety of different peoples and civilisations come and go. Enjoy a historical tour here. Your excursion on Day 8 sees you venture from Portugal into neighbouring Spain by coach, where you visit the magnificent city of Salamanca.
Day 9: Casa de Mateus
The Spirit of Chartwell departs Barca d'Alva today, sailing back to Regua. On arrival, you pay a visit to the Vila Real and the Casa de Mateus. This romantic villa was owned by the Count of Vila Real, and features a chapel and gracefully manicured gardens.
Day 10: Quinta da Aveleda
Sail today to Entre-os-Rios this morning for your excursion to Quinta da Aveleda. One of the notable wine estates which sit near the banks of the Douro, the Quinta da Aveleda belongs to the Guedes family who have been in operation since the mid-19th century.
Day 11: Return Home
Disembark the Spirit of Chartwell today for your transfer to the airport and your flight to London.
Your Ship: The Spirit of Chartwell
Exclusively chartered by Great Rail Journeys, the real star of this cruise is the ship itself.
The ship enjoys an exclusive club feel with this atmosphere shared across her amenities and facilities. These include a piano bar, a restaurant and a spacious sun deck.
Please note, prices listed are guide prices only and are based on 2 people sharing and don't include any additional supplements. Holiday prices are fluid and dynamic and may be changed at a moment's notice, prior to booking, at which point they are confirmed. Please call the team free on 0800 707 6229 for more departure dates available and a quote.
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot