Please call free – 0800 707 6229 - for Huge Extra Savings on Great Rail Journeys Discovering Japan Tour.
Ancient ceremonies meet 21st century technology in this astonishing country of contrasts. This fascinating tour goes a long way to interpret the mystery of Japan as we cross the country on high-speed bullet trains. Join us for 13 days as we explore the 'Land of the Rising Sun' by rail.
An escorted experience and all travel arrangements
- The services of a professional UK Tour Manager from start to ﬁnish
- Scheduled return ﬂights from London
- All rail, coach and ferry travel throughout your tour
Comfortable accommodation in your destination
- 11 nights' hotel accommodation
Delicious meals included
- 15 meals including 11 breakfasts and 4 dinners, including a welcome dinner in Tokyo, a dinner of contemporary Japanese cuisine in Pontocho Alley, and a farewell dinner in Osaka
Exciting excursions and free time to explore
- Explore Japan by bullet train
- Full-day guided tour of Tokyo
- Tour of Hakone and excursions to the Mount Fuji Peace Park for views of the mountain and Matsumoto Castle
- Visit the Hida Folk Village and a tour of Takayama
- Cruise to Miyajima Island to see the Itsukushima Shrine
- Visits to the A-Bomb Dome and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, and a talk from a Hiroshima survivor or their successor
- Guided tours of Hiroshima, Nara and Kyoto
- A traditional tea ceremony
- Guided tour of Osaka, including entrance to the Floating Garden Observatory
- Bullet Train rail travel
- Tokyo and Hiroshima
- Miyajima Island tour
- Kyoto and a traditional Japanese dinner
- Historic Nara
- Hida Folk Village & Matsumoto Castle
- Mount Fuji and Hakone Park
- Lake Ashi and Owakudani Springs
Days 1-2: Fly to Tokyo
Day 3: Exploring Tokyo
Day 4: To Hakone
Day 5: Mount Fuji and Matsumoto
Day 6: To Takayama
Day 7: To Hiroshima
Day 8: Miyajima Island
Days 9-10: Hiroshima to Kyoto
Day 11: Historic Nara
Day 12: Osaka
Day 13: Flight to London
HAKONE HOTEL, HAKONE
Also known as the Fujiya Hotel Lake View Annex, the 4-Star Hakone Hotel in Hakone enjoys a superb location on the shores of Lake Ashi and offers fantastic views of Mount Fuji.
HOTEL GRANVIA HIROSHIMA, HIROSHIMA
The lovely Hotel Granvia Hiroshima is our hotel whilst in Hiroshima. This hotel is located close to JR Hiroshima Train Station, and is a perfect base from which to conduct our explorations whilst here.
KYOTO TOKYU HOTEL, KYOTO
Our hotel in Kyoto is the 3-Star Kyoto Tokyu Hotel. Located within walking distance of many of the beautiful Buddhist temples that dot the city.
HOTEL BUENA VISTA, MATSUMOTO
Set in the heart of Matsumoto, the 4-Star Hotel Buena Vista boasts a broad range of eateries, featuring Japanese, Chinese and French cuisine, plus a cafe, bar and a bakery.
SHERATON MIYAKO HOTEL, OSAKA
The 4-Star Sheraton Miyako Hotel is our hotel whilst in Osaka. Located right next to some excellent public transport links, taking us all over this incredible city, this is a wonderful base from which to explore.
HOTEL ASSOCIA TAKAYAMA, TAKAYAMA
The 4-Star Hotel Associa Takayama is our base whilst in Takayama. Located at the edge of a beautiful and verdant forest.
KEIO PLAZA HOTEL, TOKYO
The 4-Star Keio Plaza Hotel in Tokyo is located close to Shinjuku railway station and is ideally placed for exploring the city. The hotel has a wide range of restaurants serving Japanese, Chinese, Korean and European cuisine, as well as a coffee shop, cocktail and tea lounge, and two bars including the Sky Bar, which offers magnificent views over Tokyo from the 45th floor.
Please note, prices listed are guide prices only and are based on 2 people sharing and don't include any additional supplements. Holiday prices are fluid and dynamic and may be changed at a moment's notice, prior to booking, at which point they are confirmed. Please call the team free on 0800 707 6229 for more departure dates available and a quote.
32 Years experience
9.8 out of 10 on Trust Pilot