Call free on 0800 707 6229 for huge extra savings on Intrepid Sabah Adventure
Experience the best of Borneo, with this 12-day tour starting and ending in Kota Kinabalu – a paradise for wildlife enthusiasts. You’ll visit the Orangutan sanctuary where you’ll spend time with the “men of the forest”, spend a night on Turtle Island watching the turtles lay their eggs on the beach and explore Borneo’s tropical rainforests full of a variety of different wildlife.
Learn about the ancient traditions with local village hosts and for those chasing stunning panoramic views, embark on the 2-day climb to the top of Mt Kinabalu and relax in the rejuvenating waters of the Poring Hot Springs.
- Borneo is one of Intrepid's original destinations and this trip is still one of our top sellers, 30 years later!
- Climb Mt Kinabalu - the literal pinnacle of all treks in South East Asia - with local guides whose families have trekked the mountain for generations
- Experience next-level vistas from the summit at sunrise, well worth the early morning effort
- Stay in a variety of accommodation, from a village homestay, to island chalets and lodges in the jungle
- Spend time getting to know the unique wildlife of Borneo at special sanctuaries for orangutans, proboscis monkeys and sun bears
- Wittness the special spectacle of sea turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs on the beach
- Cruise down the Kinabatangan river and search for wildlife in this rich and unique jungle ecosystem - if you are lucky you may spot wild pygmy elephants
- Meals: 8 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 dinners
- All transport
- Accommodation: Chalet (1 night), homestay (1 night), hostel (4 nights), Hotel (3 nights), Jungle Lodge (1 night) and resort (1 night).
- Included activities
- Tanak Nabalu - Orchard and Hill trek
- Tanak Nabalu - Cultural Show
- Mt Kinabalu climb
- Kinabatangan River - Night jungle walk
- Kinabatangan River - Sunset wildlife boat trip
- Kinabatangan River - Dawn Wildlife Cruise
- Turtle Island - National Park
- Sepilok - Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
- Sandakan - War Memorial
Day 1: Kota Kinabalu
Welcome to Malaysia. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm.
Day 2: Dusun Village
Today you will travel by minivan to a Dusun village, nestled amid picturesque hills in the shadow of imposing Mt Kinabalu, the highest mountain between the Himalayas and New Guinea (approximately 2 hours). The Dusun people, the ethnic group of our guides on Mt Kinabalu, are wonderfully warm and friendly people, and while here you'll have the opportunity to learn about their way of life and spend a night in a village.
Day 3: Mt Kinabalu National Park
This morning say goodbye to your new friends from the village and travel into the unspoiled wilderness of the World Heritage-listed Kinabalu National Park (approximately 1 hour). Take some time to enjoy the surroundings and prepare for the climb.
Day 4: Mt Kinabalu National Park
Rise early the next day to begin the climb up Mt Kinabalu. It's not an easy walk, uphill all the way, and you’ll need to be prepared to tackle a trail made up of steep steps that vary considerably in size.
Day 5: Mt Kinabalu - Poring Hot Springs
Rise around 2am in order to catch the sunrise at the summit of Mt Kinabalu (4,095 metres). It's difficult walking, but you'll feel a huge sense of achievement. Also, the view from the summit is incredible - the jungles of Borneo in one direction, the South China Sea in the other, making every inch of the climb worthwhile.
Day 6: Poring Hot Springs
Poring Hot Springs is an ideal place to kick back for a day to recuperate after the Mountain climb. There are a number of optional activities from which to choose.
Day 7: Kinabatangan River
Today, journey by private bus into the steamy rainforest to Bilit, a small village on the banks of the Kinabatangan River (approximately 5 hours). Take a short boat tide to the comfortable jungle lodge where you’ll spend the night.
Day 8: Sandakan
Today take an early morning cruise in search of wildlife. After breakfast, say goodbye to the Jungle Lodge and hit the road in a private mini van to the coastal city of Sandakan (approximately 3 hours). Along the way there’s the option to stop at the Gomantong caves (additional entrance fee).
Day 9: Turtle Island
This morning, leave your large bags at the hotel and walk 15 minutes to a nearby jetty. Travel by speedboat, past small fishing villages and bamboo fish traps, to Turtle Island Marine Park (approximately 1 hour), where green turtles come ashore to lay their eggs every night of the year. In the afternoon, there's time for swimming, snorkelling or some quality time lazing about on the beach of this tropical island.
Day 10: Sepilok Orangutan Reserve
After breakfast, return to the mainland (approximately 1 hours), collect your bags, and continue by minibus to a guesthouse located near the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre (approximately 45 minutes).
Day 11: Kota Kinabalu
In the morning get some insight into the city's past at the emotive War Memorial, built on the site of a Japanese POW camp. The flight usually gets back in the afternoon, so the rest of the day is free for your own activities.
Day 13: Kota Kinabalu
Your Sabah adventure comes to an end today. There are no activities planned and you are able to depart the accommodation at any time.
Please note, prices listed are guide prices only and are based on 2 people sharing and don't include any additional supplements. Holiday prices are fluid and dynamic and may be changed at a moment's notice, prior to booking, at which point they are confirmed. Please call the team free on 0800 707 6229 for more departure dates available and a quote.
38 Years ABTA membership & experience
Rated 5* on Trust Pilot